AAA ALABAMA offering free towing ON new year’s eve
BIRMINGHAM, AL – As Alabamians celebrate on New Year’s Eve, AAA Alabama cautions partygoers against getting behind the wheel after the champagne toast. According to a recent analysis conducted by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, during the last decade, the years’ highest number of alcohol-related traffic fatalities occur on New Year’s Day.
To save lives and promote safe driving this New Year’s Eve, AAA Alabama and wrecker services across the state will again offer Tow-for-Life. This public service program provides free towing services to keep impaired drivers off the road. This is the 28th year for the program, and the service is provided to AAA members and non-members alike. AAA does not condone drinking and driving and encourages all motorists to act responsibly to keep drunk drivers off the road throughout the holidays. The program begins at 6:00 PM on Wednesday, December 31st and continues until 6:00 AM on New Year’s Day.
“This is the most dangerous time of year to be on the roads,” says Clay Ingram, AAA Alabama spokesperson. “We want to raise awareness and encourage people to plan ahead when going out on New Year’s Eve. It is important to make arrangements before you go out, so that you aren’t making these decisions after you have been drinking. We want help keep impaired drivers off the roads, so if you or someone you know has too much to drink on New Year’s Eve, just call 1-800-AAA-HELP and we’ll help get you home safely.”
In fact, wreckers are usually among the first at the scene of deadly crashes where alcohol has been involved and New Year’s Eve is traditionally one of the most dangerous nights of the year to drive. AAA encourages party-goers who drink alcohol to appoint a designated driver and party hosts should prevent guests from driving after drinking by calling a taxi to take them home, allowing the guest to spend the night or by making other arrangements to keep them safe.
To receive free towing on New Year’s Eve:
- Call AAA Alabama at 1-800-222-4357 (1-800-AAA-HELP) and ask for Tow-for-Life. The vehicle must be operable to qualify for a free tow.
- The operator will ask for the driver’s name, home address, telephone number and exact location of the vehicle and driver.
- A tow truck will be dispatched and upon arrival the wrecker driver will ask for identification and the keys to the vehicle.
- The vehicle will be towed to the home of the driver or owner if the owner is present.
- Towing is provided at NO CHARGE up to 10 miles.